Historic Temples

Coordinates: 38.315108, 23.323509

Church of Agios Loukas Thebes

On the southeastern edge of Thebes, on the hill with the city’s old cemetery, is the church dedicated to the founder of the local church of Boeotia, Loukas (Luke the Evangelist), who lived here and preached Christianity. As a matter of fact, according to tradition, this is where he was killed and buried.

The church, like the extended cemetery around it, existed at least from the end of the 11th century, as indicated by relevant references in documents of that period. At the same location they have discovered parts of the classical fortifications of the city and a large apse that probably belonged to an even older church from the Early Christian years. The present day church is the one that was reconstructed completely and was inaugurated in 1863 by the Metropolitan of Thebes Dositheos, as mentioned in the inscription at the altar. Its upper part, which is quite different from the masonry of the rest of the church, was constructed probably in the beginning of the 20th century, after the destructive earthquakes that occurred in the area.

Architecturally, it is a complex cross-in-square church with a dome. Its older masonry can be discerned, constructed by large ancient stones and architectural members, as the newer one by rubble masonry.

In its interior there are icons made in the 20th century, while on the right part of the altar there is the reliquary that was used by the Thebans for the burial of Luke the Evangelist. The reliquary dates for the 2nd century AD and belonged to the Roman family of Nidimos-Zosimos. According to tradition the relic was removed from here and was transferred to Constantinople in 357, by Constantius, son of Constantine the great, and after the fall of the city to the Franks, in 1204, it was transferred to Padua in Italy. Since 2000 part of the relic has been kept again in its initial location, next to the reliquary. 

The church celebrates on the 24th of September and on the 18th of October.


Contact phone:


end of the 11th century


24 September, 18 October

Holy Metropolis:
Thebes and Levadia


Sights on the map

Routes containing the attraction
Close range destinations
Same region article