Holy Monasteries

Coordinates: 39.144643, 20.989617

Monastery of Kato Panagia

The monastery of Kato Panagia is located in a wooded location, at the foothills of the hill of Perranthi, south of Arta, on the road towards Glykorizo.

It was founded by the Despot of Epirus Michael II Komnenos Doukas (1231-1268) to atone for his bad behavior towards his wife Theodora, the later saint and patron saint of Arta.

It was called Kato Panagia in contrast to the majestic Byzantine church of Arta, Panagia Parigoritissa.

In older times the monastery has significant real estate property, part of which was given to educational foundations of Arta and Preveza. Nowadays it is an active women’s monastery that remains unchanged through time thanks to the care of the nuns.

The initial Monastery suffered from luting and destructions during the revolutions (1821, 1854) and today only its catholicon survives.

Architecturally it belongs to the type of transverse-vault church. It is a rectangular building which divides into three aisles. In the middle of the building there is transverse barrel-vault, at the centre there is a rectangular dome. In this way a cross is shaped on the roofs.

Externally the church is decorated with rich ceramic elements, while stone inscriptions on the southern side mention the founder the monastery.

At its interior survive excellent wall paintings of the 13th (diaconicon), 18th and 19th century. Interesting is the scene of the Ascension that decorates the dome.

In 1880 the chapel of Agia Anna was constructed in the precinct of the monastery, while outside the precinct they built just a few years ago a small church dedicated to Agios Zacharias from Arta.

It celebrates on the day of the Birth of the Virgin (8th of September).



13th century


8 September

Holy Metropolis: 

Under the Supervision of: 
Ephorate of Antiquities of Arta

Sights on the map

Close range destinations
Same region article