Holy Monasteries

Coordinates: 38.749578, 21.656774

Monastery Proussos (Moni Panagias Proussiotissas)

At the beautiful and impressive location that is shaped on the edges of the mountains Kaliakouda and Chelidona, on a rock with an enchanting view and a location with strategic importance, is built the historic Monastery of Panagia Prousiotissa or Monastery Proussos. It is dedicated to the Dormition of the Virgin and is one of the few monasteries that survive in Evrytania, but also one of the most important pilgrimages of Sterea Ellada (Central Greece), since the miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary attracts a lot of visitors throughout the year.

The foundation of the monastery is related to the miraculous icon, which is considered the work of Luke the Evangelist. According to tradition, in the period of iconoclasm, in the first half of the 9th century, in the years the last iconoclast emperor Theophilus, a new nobleman, in order to save the icon attempted to transfer it from Proussa to Greece. However, the icon disappeared in a strange manner and some years later, the shepherds in the area found it in a cave at Proussos, where it is kept even today, inside a chapel. The nobleman tried repeatedly to take it back, and after the exhortation of a celestial voice to settle there where the icon was, he abandoned his former life and became a monk taking the name Dionysios. Together with one of his servants, who also became a monk under the name Timotheos, they organized the monastic community at Proussos.

The monastery operated for many centuries, becoming really important to the intellectual life and in the first decades of the 19th century the famous School of Greek Letters of Roumeli operated here. In the period of the Revolution of 1821 it played an important role as a refuge and a base if operation for the fighters of the area and Georgios Karaiskakis was closely related to it. But in modern times, during the Italian and the German occupation, it was the refuge of the members of the Greek resistance and in 1944 it was torched by the German troops.

At the complex a central location is occupied by the catholicon, which was constructed in 1754, and belongs to the type of the cross-in-square church with a dome. Its interior is covered by wall paintings that date from 1785 that are the work of painters from Evrytania, Georgios Anagnostou and Georgios Georgiou, while the wooden-carved screen is a work from 1810. West of the catholicon there is the cavernous chapel of Evresis (finding), the crypt where they keep the miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary. The icon is covered with a silver garment, a donation by Georgios Karaiskakis. The chapel was constructed in two stages, in the 13th – 14th century and in the 16th century. The complex also includes a hostel to accommodate visitors, and a museum with precious relics, icons, codices and books, as well as some of the weapons of Karaiskakis.

It is a men’s monastery and it celebrates on the 23rd of August.

Η μονή είναι ανδρική.


Contact phone:


9th century


23 August

Holy Metropolis: 

Under the Supervision of: 
Ephorate of Antiquities of Fthiotida

Proussos 36074

By car




23 Αυγούστου

Ιερά Μητρόπολη


Φορέας προστασίας

Εφορεία Αρχαιοτήτων Φθιώτιδος & Ευρυτανίας


Ι.Χ. αυτοκίνητο



Sights on the map

Same region article