Historic Temples

Coordinates: 40.631578, 22.951910

Church of Ypapanti

The church of Ypapanti is situated at the centre of the city, in close proximity to Kamara and opposite the church of Panagia Dexia.

In the beginning of the 16th century the church was the metochi of the Monastery of Angia Anastasia in Chalkidiki, as testified by an inscription of 1841. From patriarchal documents we find out that it was known as the monastery of Mr. Ioel dedicated to Virgin Mary. The monastery was destroyed in the year 1531. Then, it was renovated by Theonas, abbot of the monastery of Agia Anastasia and later Metropolitan of Thessaloniki. In 1841 the church was repaired extensively.

It is a three-aisled, wooden-roofed basilica with gynaeconitis, a rather common type in Macedonia during the Turkish Occupation. The columns that divide the aisles are made of wood and not stone. The have incorporated older sculptures.

At its interior there is the screen of 1841, the despotic throne, the pulpit and the shrines. At the screen they have placed older icons. Of particular interest is the sanctuary gate of the Holy Gate, with the representation of the Annunciation, work of the Cretan School of the 16th century.



16th century


Holy Metropolis: 

Under the Supervision of: 
Ephorate of Antiquities of Thessaloniki

Sights nearby

Sights on the map

Same region article