Holy Monasteries

Coordinates: 37.966039, 23.776156

Monastery of Agios Ioannis Prodromos

Going up from the centre of Kaisariani to the foothills of Hymettus through the central avenue Ethnikis Antistaseos, at a small distance from the last housed and opposite the cemetery, one can encounter the Monastery of Agios Ioannis Prodromos built in the beautiful forest by pine and cypress trees.

Its history goes back at least until the 16th century, perhaps even earlier, similarly to the history of the rest of the monasteries of Hymettus. It was founded in 1976 after a ministerial decision and until then it was the metochi of the Monastery of Asomaton Petraki. From the decade of 1950 and onwards it has suffered significant alterations and interventions, which have changed its original form and make difficult to ascertain and verify its history.

The complex is organized around the catholicon, a small one-aisled vaulted basilica which dates from the 16th century and dominates rights opposite the entrance. It is dedicated to the beheading of St John the Baptist and its interior is decorated with remarkable wall paintings, which, as we are informed by the relevant inscription, are the works of 1572. At the monastery there is a second church, also the type of a basilica, dedicated to Taxiarches. It is decorated with modern icons of Byzantine style and it celebrates on the 8th of November.

Nowadays it is a women’s monastery and it celebrates on the 29th of August.


Contact phone:


16th century


29 August

Holy Metropolis: 
Kessariani, Vyronas and Hymettus

Under the Supervision of: 
Ephorate of Antiquities of Athens

Ethnikis Antistasteos, Kaisariani 16122

By car, by bus

Sights nearby

Sights on the map

Same region article